Tuesday 1 September 2015

What I read in August


I've been trying to read as much as possible recently and my aim is to get through at least three books a month. Today I thought I'd share with you what I read in August and what my thoughts were...

The Year I Met You by Cecelia Ahern (7/10)

Ireland's Cecelia Ahern has written another fantastic novel, but don't be fooled by the title, this isn't much of a love story! Jasmine, a business woman and workaholic, has lost her job and has to take a years gardening leave. The story follows Jasmine on her journey to find herself whilst building up an unlikely friendship with her rowdy neighbour, Matt, from across the road. Matt is a controversial radio DJ, who unknowingly offended Jasmine years back during a discussion on air about Downs Syndrome. Jasmines sister, Heather, has Downs Syndrome and naturally Jasmine is very protective of her. Matt gets fired from his job and his marriage crumbles as a result, leaving him in a similar situation as Jasmine. Can they learn to overcome their differences?

This is a beautifully written novel about creating and maintaining friendships and the power of forgiveness. The Year I Met you is an unconventional, humorous, feel-good novel.

Paper Towns by John Green (8/10)

If you've seen the Paper Towns movie this year, forget what you saw. The movie doesn't even compare to the book by a long shot. Quentin "Q" is in love with his mysterious neighbour, Margo. As kids the two were friends, until one day they stumble across a dead body (don't worry, that's not a spoiler!) and they drift apart. One night, towards the end of high school, Margo unexpectedly climbs into Q's window and the two embark on a late night journey around Orlando. Q, reluctant at first, has the time of his life and can't wait to see Margo the next day. But Margo doesn't turn up for school. She's not at home. No one knows where she is and no one seems to care. Q, convinced that their night together meant something more, discovers "clues"  left by Margo. He needs to find her. He needs to tell her how he feels.

I adored this book and will probably read it again this year. The mystery of Margo is intriguing and all I wanted to do was find out where she was, which meant I read the book in less than 24 hours. I fell in love with the characters, especially Q's friends who added a lot of humor to what is quite a deep story. I'd recommend this to anyone who's looking for a good read.

The Book Theif by Markus Zusak (9/10)

The Book Thief is by far my favourite book of the three. A word of warning though; it's a really long book and you will definitely shed a tear! The story follows Leisel who has been sent to live in Germany with the Hubermanns during World War 2. Leisel can't read but after stealing her first book at her brother's funeral, Hans Hubermann helps her learn. Leisel's best friend, Rudy, helps her steal books to read and they develop a love/hate relationship for each other.  What I loved most about this book is that Death narrates the story. Death has a very morbid sense of humor and will often wander away from the story s/he is telling to tell you about how a random character dies in the future. From the offset, you know that there's not going to be a happy ending. This is a gripping and agonizing tale of two Germans taking in a young girl, bringing her up in Nazi Germany whilst harboring a Jew in their basement. The ending is heartbreaking yet joyous, so make sure you have your tissues ready!

As I said, this book is incredibly long. I couldn't even touch upon everything that happens (not that I'd want to spoil anything for you anyway!) in such a small summary. This is, so far, my favourite book of all time.

Have you read any of these books? What where your thoughts?
SHARE:

1 comment

  1. You have really sold Paper Towns to me! It's one of those books I had kind of ignored the hype about, dismissing it as teenage fluff, but you've made it sound far more intriguing than I had imagined! I am so glad you enjoyed The Book Thief, although I cannot imagine how anyone wouldn't love it. It's one of my favourites too, it just pulls you in to Leisel's life and the characters feel so real.

    I really enjoyed this post!
    Amber x

    www.theamberspyglass.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

© J A D I C U S x o. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig